King Shaka International Airport
King Shaka International Airport is South Africa’s third largest airport, located in La Mercy 33,7km from Durban. Driving time to Durban via the N2 is around 35 minutes. The distance from the airport to Pietermaritzburg is 104.2km, taking approximately 1 hour 20 minutes travelling at an average speed of 80km per hour.
The distance from King Shaka International to Margate on Kwa Zulu’s south coast is 166,1km and takes around 1 hour 40 minutes via the N2.
Parking at King Shaka International Airport
King Shaka International Airport’s parking is contracted to ‘Katanga Parking’. The airport has a total of 1540 undercover parking bays located in the multi-story parkade and 4960 shaded parking spaces.
Short Stay Shaded Parking located a little further from the main terminal buildings offers 1,500 parking bays.
Long Stay Shaded Parking is applicable to vehicles being parked for three days or longer with the capacity for 500 vehicles plus better rates compared to short stay parking.
Additionally for arrival pick-ups there are 40 car parking bays located close to the terminal.
- P2 – Multi-story parking
- P3 – Short Stay Shaded parking
- P4 – Long Stay Shaded parking
All vehicles utilising these parking bays must have a ‘paraplegic sticker’ visible at all times to avoid the vehicle being wheel clamped.
- Shaded parking, close to the walkway to the terminal provides 6 bays.
- Parking on ‘Level 0’ has 14 bays while ‘Level 1’ provides 2 bays.
- The drop-off zone provides 6 bays and the pick-up zone has 3.
‘QASA’ members qualify for shaded parking tariff rates in the parkade. These members must complete a form after which their tickets will be issued by the cashiers at shading parking rates.
Popular Domestic Airlines Landing At King Shaka International Airport
|Route||Departure Date||Airline Logo||Airline||Price|
|Flights From East London Airport To King Shaka International Airport||8 May||Flysafair||R649|
|Flights From George Airport To King Shaka International Airport||17 May||Kulula||R1 139|
|Flights From George Airport To King Shaka International Airport||22 Jun||Kulula||R1 204|
|Flights From K. D. Matanzima Airport To King Shaka International Airport||1 Jun||South African Airways||R2 469|
|Flights From Skukuza Airport To King Shaka International Airport||24 Jun||British Airways||R2 919|
|Flights From Polokwane International Airport To King Shaka International Airport||1 May||British Airways||R3 059|
|Flights From Skukuza Airport To King Shaka International Airport||12 May||South African Airways||R3 179|
|Flights From Pierre Van Ryneveld Airport To King Shaka International Airport||6 Aug||British Airways||R3 894|
Popular International Airlines Landing At King Shaka International Airport
King Shaka International Airport
Weather At King Shaka Airport
[wunderground location=”La Mercy, South Africa” numdays=”3″ layout=”simple” measurement=”c” showdata=”alert,daynames,pop,icon,text,conditions,date,highlow”]
Special needs passengers with restricted mobility that are in need of assistance or special access should contact the airline they’re flying with at least 48 hours prior to their flight’s departure.
- Not permitted to be packed into passengers’ hand luggage are objects with sharp edges or points that include but is not limited to items like toy weapons, razor blades, screwdrivers, knives, pepper spray or cork screws.
- Ensure your hand baggage is with you at all times. No parcels, handbags or luggage should be left unattended and should you notice any such items left unattended please contact the airport security.
- Never carry on board anything from another person and should you receive such a request, contact airport security.
- Gifts should remain unwrapped as security may wish to scrutinise them.
- Barcodes and old tags should be removed from your luggage ensuring the check-in process operates efficiently.
- To easily and correctly identify your luggage personalise it with a bright sticker, a key ring or colourful ribbon.
- Your laptop should be easily removable should security wish to inspect it prior to boarding.
- To avoid delays ensure your hand baggage is within the stipulated weight restrictions.
- Gels, liquids and aerosols must be packed in re-sealable transparent plastic bags with a total capacity not exceeding 1 litre. Each passenger is permitted to carry only one of these bags which must be presented to security for inspection.
Airport Contact Information:
Main Switchboard : 032 436 6000
Flight Information : 086 727 7888
Parking Office : 032 436 6626
Airport Clinic : 032 436 6509
Security : 032 436 6630
South African Police : 032 436 6868
King Shaka Airport Map
Transportation to and from the airport
Two shuttle bus services depart from outside the International Arrivals terminal:
- Airport Bus Shuttle Service – +27 (0) 31 465 5573 / +27 (0) 82 340 9990
- Margate Mini Coach – +27 (0) 39 312 1406 / +27 (0) 82 455 9736
Operating from the arrivals terminal are the following taxi companies and others:
- Cabz4U cc : +27 (0) 31 577 6710 / +27 (0) 82 530 3745
- A Hassan Taxis : +27 (0) 31 564 0734 / +27 (0) 82 680 7277
- Checker Radio Taxi : +27 (0) 31 465 5573 / +27 (0) 82 340 9990
- City Cabs : +27 (0) 31 577 2911 / +27 (0) 82 086 6888
- Sikelela Taxis : +27 (0) 83 329 8670
- Phola Taxi : +27 (0) 73 259 9744
Passengers can pre-book or combine their rental vehicles with their air tickets. The following vehicle rental companies are based at King Shaka International:
- Select Car & Van Rental