Everyone loves travelling and exploring the beauty of the picturesque South Africa but one major factor that plays spoilsport in our travel plans is expensive airfare. We all wish to book cheap tickets as it allows us to enjoy the magnificence and beauty of the place without spending huge amount on air fare. Hence, booking cheap flight tickets is imperative but many of us don’t know how to book the cheapest flight tickets. So, we have here listed some of the best tips that will help you to book cheap flight tickets to South Africa and save your lots of bucks.
Always be a smart traveller and book your tickets in advance as many of the airlines offer cheapest flight tickets to South Africa. But if it is an unplanned travelling plan and you have to buy last minute tickets then also you can get cheap flight tickets with some research via best travel deals offered by many airlines.
9 tips to book flights at a cheaper rate
- Using a Kulula credit card is best if you spend less than R30k a month. And if the expenditure falls between R30k to R50k a month on your card than use a Nedbank American Express card. While if you spend over R50k a month then using a DiscoveryCard Fast Miles (Silver) is best for you. Also, you can consider using a Diners Club card and SBSA card as these are linked to the SAA/British Airways frequent flyer program and British Airways Executive Club.
- Always opt for airlines that offer frequent flyer programmes as it offers great rewards to flyers like membership benefits, priority bookings, travel class upgrades etc. To get discount Mango flights on low-priced routes and discount South African Airways on high-priced routes one should use SAA Voyager miles.
- Always check the prices of the budget carriers (Mango & Kulula) and full service carriers (British Airways, SA Express, SA Airlink & SAA) while booking domestic South African flights. However, if you are booking international flights then it is advisable to check the prices of the low-cost long haul carriers such as Qatar Airways, Emirates, Etihad & Turkish Airlines.
- One can find some cheaper flights on 25th and 31st December. Also, flights on Friday the 13th are cheaper every so often.
- One can also get regular alerts on flights specials, latest news and great deals on air tickets by subscribing to Domestic Flights newsletter.
- Booking outbound and return flight separately is advisable while booking domestic flights. However, while booking an international flight it would be cheaper to book outbound and return tickets together with the same airline.
- If you are looking for affordable flights to or from Johannesburg, then opt for Johannesburg Lanseria (HLA) and Johannesburg O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB).
- As we know the airline industry is very much susceptible to oil price fluctuations hence it is crucial to remain watchful to the petrol prices or rand price of oil. If there is a sharp reduction in rand oil prices than it would be a wise step to delay your journey but if there is a huge upsurge in the rand price of oil then purchase your ticket without any worry.
- Book your tickets on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday for cheap flight tickets. By and large air tickets for domestic flights are cheaper on Saturday afternoon whereas for international flights from South Africa on Sundays to Thursday and returning Tuesday to Thursday is low-priced. If possible turn away from booking air tickets on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings or on the days before public holidays and school holidays. Normally, August is a cheap month for buying tickets of domestic South African flights.
In case one needs to modify a booking, consider changing via internet rather doing it telephonically as the former option would be cheaper.