The new regulations governing flying with children are aimed at improving the safety of children, including “their protection from child trafficking, abduction and kidnapping”, the department of home affairs said on Tuesday in June this year 2014.

What Are The New Laws?

Starting from the 1st October 2014, children travelling in and out of South Africa will be required to carry an unabridged birth certificate as well as a valid passport, under new regulations. This is being done to ensure their safety.

The regulations actually came into effect at the end of May, but the Department of Home Affairs delayed the implementation until 1st October 2014, in order to make allowance for families who have already made plans for the upcoming school holidays.

Make Sure Your Paperwork Is Done In Time

The department of home affairs urged SA citizens and foreign nationals to apply for unabridged birth certificates, in good time, which reflect the particulars of both parents, to avoid possible delays to their travel plans. It can take up to six to eight weeks for an unabridged birth certificate application to be processed.

Quick guide to the new requirements

Child travelling with both parents:

A child travelling with both parents will be required to travel with their passport and unabridged birth certificate.

Child travelling with one parent:

A child travelling with only one parent you will need their passport, unabridged birth certificate and a signed affidavit or court order stating that the other parent is aware that the child is travelling and has given permission for the child to embark on travel. If one of the parents has passed away a death certificate must be presented.

Child travelling with a guardian:

With regards to a child travelling with a guardian the child will need a passport, unabridged birth certificate and an affidavit or court order signed by both parents allowing permission for the child to travel. In the event that both parents have passed away a death certificate for both deceased parents must be presented.

Unaccompanied child:

If your child is travelling alone the situation is slightly more complicated. You will still need the passport, unabridged birth certificate and affidavit or court order stating the child has permission to travel. To add to this you will need contact details of the person receiving the child, as well as a certified copy of their ID or passport and their physical address.